Skip to main content

NIC 2012 Windows 8 What's the fuzz all about slides

I have now uploaded the slide deck from my NIC2012 session about Windows 8 Server and Client.
You can see it and download it from here


Popular posts from this blog

Changing Windows product key (license) for a MDT OS deployment task

Creating a new OS deployment task in MDT you will be asked to specify product key


That’s easy enough, but what if you type in the wrong key or just want to change it (add it) later? You might even have gotten a new MAK.

That is not as easy, you cannot do it from the graphical interface, you have to do it from one of the configuration files. Well you might to it from graphical interface by typing it in every time deploying a computer gets deployed but that is not a great solution.

MDT - The task sequence has been suspended. LiteTouch is trying to install applications

Every now and then I get this error message when fuelling a computer with MDT:
"The task sequence has been suspended. LiteTouch is trying to install applications. This cannot be performed in Windows PE."

How to get and use the Windows key from UEFI/BIOS

I found myself in the situation that I needed to get the Windows key out from the ACPI in the UEFI bios and preferable get to use it in a task sequence in MDT.

There are different ways of doing this, but I wanted to do this with little code and easy to understand.
There is a nice tool created to get the key on github, created by Christian Korneck, called get_win81key. This tool gives you the key in plane text. You can get it
HERE: https://github.com/christian-korneck/get_win8key


If I were supposed to do this manually, I now would just take that key and type it in with slmgr command or in the GUI. But I want to do this within a task in MDT.
Testing a couple of solutions without using the get_win8key with my great scripting guru colleague HÃ¥vard ( www.grondal.me) and figuring out that it cannot be done with default powershell stuff, it needs more code. Therefore, we quickly figured out that some use of the “get_win8key” files is the easiest way, but we need a way of setting the output fro…